Get in touch

Is it possible for our child to live with both of us?

It is possible for you and your spouse to decide that you would like your child to live with both of you by the way of shared residence.

Alternatively, a court can make an order to this effect when the circumstances merit it, such as when one parent is trying to push the other out of the child’s life. Shared residence can work very well for some children and not as well for others. For some, the feeling of living in two places is too unsettling. This is why it is essential that if you and your spouse make this decision you should have the best interests of your child at the forefront of your mind.

The child having equal amounts of time with each parent is not strictly necessary in shared residence. There are also a few legal implications with this kind of arrangement but when both parents have parental responsibility anyway it doesn’t really make much difference day to day. However, because there are possible legal implications, if you are thinking about shared residence, then you should get specialist legal advice.

Austin Kemp’s experienced team of solicitors can advise you throughout the entire process of divorce and child arrangements. We particularly specialise in high net worth individuals with assets and investments around the world.

For more information on this subject please visit our Legal Library.


Contact us to see how we can help you with divorce and child arrangements

For more information call our team on 0845 862 5001 or email

We offer a nationwide service. We have client meeting office facilities available, in order to have face-to-face client meetings / conferences as and when required in:

London Office: Duncannon Street, London WC2N 4JF

Manchester Office: King Street, Manchester, M2 4PD

Leeds Office: Princes Exchange, Princes Square, Leeds, LS1 4HY

Huddersfield Office: Northumberland Street Huddersfield, HD1 1RL

Please contact us for more details.

Make the first move

Find out how we can help you, call us on
0333 311 0925 or email us today.

Contact Us
Back to Top