Get in touch

I’m no longer sure I want to go ahead with my divorce. Can I change my mind?

Divorce is an extremely difficult decision and one that is not taken lightly. When a relationship is ending emotions can run high. You may find that once you have started the divorce proceedings you and your spouse decide to change your minds and no longer want to end your marriage.

You can change your mind and have the divorce dismissed or even decide to put your divorce on hold at any point up until when the decree absolute is made.

Once the respondent has been served with the petition for the divorce (this can be done by process servers if they refuse) then the decree nisi can be applied for. If the grounds of the petition are accepted the decree nisi will then be pronounced in court. The court will then make an order in relation to finances and once this is agreed the decree absolute will be applied for. It is when the decree absolute is finalised that the marriage is over. The decree absolute has to be applied for at least 6 weeks and 1 day after the decree nisi is pronounced but this can take much longer if there is a complex financial settlement, for example if you are a high net worth individual with pension funds and investments spread out across the world.

If you are unsure about whether you wish to go ahead with your divorce in any stage of the proceedings then it is important you speak to your solicitor to get legal advice as soon as possible.

Chess Piece

Make the first move

Find out how we can help you, call us on
0333 311 0925 or email us today.

Contact Us
Back up to top Back to Top