Get in touch

What if my ex-spouse has stopped me from seeing my child?

If you have been stopped from seeing your child it is important that you get independent legal advice as soon as possible.

If you already have a court order stating the terms of your contact with your child, then it is possible to go back to court and ask the courts to remedy the situation. Courts are able to sanction parents who don’t obey their orders. This can involve financial compensation, imprisonment and even an order stating that the child goes to live with the other parent.

If you do not have a court order, you still have options available to you. You could try processes such as collaborative law or mediation to resolve the issue or ask your solicitor to talk to the other parent (or their solicitor) to try to resolve the situation for you. If none of this works, you can go to court. If you haven’t been allowed to see your child, the court will look upon you favourably, as long as the other parent hasn’t got a good reason for denying you contact, for example, for the child’s welfare.

Austin Kemp specialise in cases where parents are stopped from seeing their children. Whether there has been a previous court order or not, we can advise you what steps to take in order to resume contact with your child.

For more information on this subject please visit our Legal Library.


Contact us to see how we can help with divorce and child arrangements

For more information call our team on 0845 862 5001 or email

We offer a nationwide service. We have client meeting office facilities available, in order to have face-to-face client meetings / conferences as and when required in:

Leeds Office: Princes Exchange, Princes Square, Leeds, LS1 4HY

Wakefield Office: Market Walk, Wakefield, WF1 1QR

Halifax Office: Old Lane, Halifax, HX3 5WP

Huddersfield Office: Northumberland Street Huddersfield, HD1 1RL

Coventry Office: Warwick Road, Coventry, CV1 2DY

Canary Wharf Office: 25 Canada Square, Canary Wharf, London, E14 5LB

Please contact us for more details.

Was this article helpful?

11th August 2017

Chess Piece

Make the first move

Find out how we can help you, call us on
0333 311 0925 or email us today.

Contact Us
Back up to top Back to Top