Get in touch

Is it OK to take my child abroad?

Whether you can take your child abroad without permission from the other parent depends on whether or not you have a child arrangements order that says the child lives with you (or residence is shared between you and the other parent).

If you do have this arrangement order, then you are not required to get permission from the other parent if you want to take the child on a trip abroad of no more than 28 days in total.

If you believe that the other parent could take the child abroad and then not bring them back, you can still apply to court to stop the child leaving the country, even if the other parent has this arrangement order.

If you do not have the arrangements order of shared residency or one stating that the child lives with you, then you must obtain written permission from the other parent (or indeed anyone else with parental responsibility for the child) before you can leave the UK with them. If the other parent refuses permission then you could take the application to court. Unless there is good reason it is unlikely that an application by someone with parental responsibility will be refused.

For more information on this subject please visit our Legal Library.


Contact us to see how we can help to re-locate with your child

For more information call our team on 0845 862 5001 or email

We offer a nationwide service. We have client meeting office facilities available, in order to have face-to-face client meetings / conferences as and when required in:

London Office: Duncannon Street, London WC2N 4JF

Manchester Office: King Street, Manchester, M2 4PD

Leeds Office: Princes Exchange, Princes Square, Leeds, LS1 4HY

Huddersfield Office: Northumberland Street Huddersfield, HD1 1RL

Please contact us for more details.

Make the first move

Find out how we can help you, call us on
0333 311 0925 or email us today.

Contact Us
Back to Top