Get in touch

Child Law and Custody

Child Contact Arrangements Upon a Relationship Breakdown

When relationships break down it is often a stressful and emotional time, not only for the adults involved but for the children too. When going through a divorce, civil partnership dissolution or unmarried break-up it is important that the children and their feelings are considered first and any views and input they may have is listened to and acknowledged.

The best childcare arrangements after a break-up are those that the parents have come to between themselves without needing to involve the courts in the decision making process. Although this should be strived towards, it is not always possible and other alternatives must be considered.

Why choose Austin Kemp?

Austin Kemp can help even if you are in the initial stages of a break-up or are still considering a relationship break-up and want to know what your options are when it comes to the care of your children. Our expert solicitors will sensitively listen to your needs and concerns and provide you with expert legal advice as to your position on everything from how much parental contact you would like to where the children go to school.

Receiving a letter from your ex-partner’s solicitor can be a scary and daunting time. Austin Kemp can guide you through this process and make sure you understand all of your options. It is very important to seek expert legal advice if you are in this situation.

We particularly specialise in high net worth individuals with international wealth and assets and our solicitors are experienced in court systems not just at home in England and Wales but also abroad. Our specialist solicitors can talk you through your options if, for example, your partner wants to remove your child from the jurisdiction or if you would like to do the same.

Austin Kemp have also represented other family members, such as grandparents, who want to make sure they maintain contact with the children after a relationship break-up.

Before taking your case to court you will be advised to go to mediation to try and resolve your issues. If this is not possible negotiations can take place between your respective solicitors. If both of these attempts fail then it will be necessary to go to court.

The court will look after the best interests of the children and will instruct a government body, CAFCASS, to carry out checks on both parents. They may also carry out further reports which make recommendations to the court.

It is worth noting that the older the children are, the more the court will listen to their thoughts about what should happen to them.

Courts can make various different orders to decide what are the right arrangements for the care of the children.

Austin Kemp’s skilled and experienced solicitors will guide you through the process from start to finish and will make sure you receive expert independent legal advice for your specific case. Our starting point is always what’s best for you and your children.

Make the first move

Find out how we can help you, call us on
0333 311 0925 or email us today.

Contact Us
Back to Top