Get in touch

Do I need permission to move somewhere else in the UK?

If you’re moving somewhere else in the UK with your child then there is no need to obtain formal permission from the child’s other parent.

This is the main difference from re-locating your child abroad. If you are thinking of moving elsewhere in the UK it is always best to talk to the other parent about your intentions and seek independent legal advice from a specialist solicitor as early on as possible. There is a possibility that the other parent could obtain a court order to stop you from moving until an investigation has taken place. The court will always consider the welfare of the child and the child’s best interests when they are looking at cases of relocation.

It is much easier to move your child elsewhere in the UK than it is to re-locate them abroad. Unless you are trying to stop the other parent seeing them or there are other extenuating circumstances, then it is unlikely that your move will be stopped.

Austin Kemp’s experienced team of solicitors can advise you if you would like to move your child elsewhere in the UK or you want to stop your partner from doing so.

For more information on this subject please visit our Legal Library.


Contact us to see how we can help to re-locate with your child

For more information call our team on 0845 862 5001 or email

We offer a nationwide service. We have client meeting office facilities available, in order to have face-to-face client meetings / conferences as and when required in:

London Office: Duncannon Street, London WC2N 4JF

Manchester Office: King Street, Manchester, M2 4PD

Leeds Office: Princes Exchange, Princes Square, Leeds, LS1 4HY

Huddersfield Office: Northumberland Street Huddersfield, HD1 1RL

Please contact us for more details.

Make the first move

Find out how we can help you, call us on
0333 311 0925 or email us today.

Contact Us
Back to Top